Deterritorialization and Life in Process

If you think of territory as an architectural concept, this post might give you another meaning of a physical space read through emotions. And there is not a lot of complex and interrelated ideas, but a feeling revealed after a sudden change of everyday routines. 

After a couple of weeks discussing about my prospective change of living place because of some refurbishments works, it all started so suddenly last Thursday early in the morning.
Due to the enormous thrust and friendship that unites me with this person, I was very eager to collaborate by any mean in the smooth development of the works. I had to take my stuff out of the room  I have been living in for more than an year and moved to another room in the same flat. Works started off, but at every hour they have been changing as there have been intervening so many people. 

So, now my room is not my room. It´s the future second office space of the flat. But I live in another room that used to be my flatmate´s. In fact, there are still his clothes. Everything is getting messy of the many professionals and helpers that come along, of the sequence of furniture movements and arrangements. The flat is no longer a place of everyday living but still it is meeting basic needs - kitchen and bathroom work so far. 

In the last years I have been thinking over processes and doing projects that had no clear vision in the beginning, not established goals but as time was passing, they have been progressing, involving more and more people. Nevertheless, now it´s different and the feeling is not about looking forward to a new place of living, but as if the process is out of my control. And it really is. 

Is uncertainty of so simple everyday things so disturbing? What are our feelings towards the physical space that we call my room/ flat/ car, etc. and suddenly we are forced to leave it but having no other new place that we can call my? Is staying in the limbo of our proper living place a good example of a life process? Do we find comfortable moving in and out but having the expectation of going to a better place? 

No comments:

Post a Comment